Thursday, December 10, 2009

Is Passion Important?

When asked whether I feel its important to like your job, to enjoy what you're doing for the majority of every day of your adult life; I responded with a yes. And this wasn't just any yes. This was a yes said in such a tone that it left little room for the question asker to believe otherwise.
I simply think, if you don't enjoy your job then what's the point? Sure some people might fantasize about saving millions of dollars and living the dream once they retire, but if you spend years of your life working in misery then I dont see the appeal.
We spend years in the school system learning math and reading and science, and most importantly. That you're not smart enough for the job you wanted when you were a kid. So instead of coming up with a new dream job, most people just take whatever's next. Usually working in a retail store for a year or two before University, if they even decide to go back to school. But this hope for a good career shouldn't be lost, one should aspire to have a job they can enjoy every day. One that provides variety from the monotony of life, offers something exciting and another hour to look forward to.
As for me, I want to become a Linguist, fluent in as many languages as I can learn in my life time. I dont believe I wont be able to accomplish my goal, I think it's fully attainable and I will do anything to get there.
Steps involved in getting to my goal are so far: Attending Carleton University for a major in Linguistics and a minor in Spanish and French. I'll probably end up working for the government after that, as long as I can travel and continue language research then I really dont care. As long as I enjoy my job and am passionate about what I'm learning then I'll be happy.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were interested in Linguistics. You must have a talent for languages because linguistics courses almost killed me in university! Wow, impressive.

    ReplyDelete